Saturday, October 31, 2009

Traditional Silversmithing Course...

jewelry class b
After mastering silver clay, I've enrolled into another JDMIS module : silversmithing (Total of 5 lessons). It's not as easy as silver clay classes whereby I'm able to make a new item after each class.

Here in silversmithing, it's almost a muscle training course. From 10am-6pm (except for the one hour's lunch break), I've been sawing, hammering, soldiering, cutting, trimming, bending, firing, quenching, rolling and stretching with metal!!!

According to my teacher, it's essential to master this old skill because in jewelry making. It's good to know as many techniques as it allows you flexibility in manupilating the metal to your heart's desire.

Hence in this 5 lessons, I'll be combining as many different texture & technique of silversmithing into making this ultimate necklace. Here's the work-in-progress picture : )

2 comments: